Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More Ways In Which It Is Not 1976

It’s starting already. I opened Lauren’s school bag this morning to find Valentines from her classmates (their party was on Friday and since she only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, she didn’t get her stuff until yesterday). I had sent cute, age-appropriate Valentine cards for all the kids in her class. Nearly all the other parents sent Valentine PRESENTS. Candy, toys, homemade cookies, even a heart-shaped water bottle. Now I look like the cheapo, dork mom who doesn’t know the protocol of Val Day.

These are two year olds, people! If this is what we’re doing now, what the heck is it going to be like by the fourth grade? I’ve only met a couple of the parents and they seem nice enough. But by giving stuff, instead of just cards, are we all trying to impress one another? I really want to try to avoid all that one-upping each other I hear that parents do with over-the-top birthday parties, bringing gifts when the invitation clearly says not to, etc. But you better believe I would’ve thrown in a little piece of candy or something had I known everyone else was going to give gifts. Just to avoid looking like a moron.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked at the Valentines my 18 month old received at day care the other day. Most had candy (um, she's 18 months old!). All were store bought (which is not bad in itself, just made me feel bad, or something), a couple were even "cards," as in you opened them up to read the inside. I cut out construction paper hearts for each kid and wrote To: and From: They're babies! I really don't feel cheap or bad. I feel like I have better things to do with my time and money. My 5 year old also made her cards, she was the only one in her class.

Unknown said...

Eep. That's a scary window into the future. We don't do xmas, much less give gifts at valentines. What is THAT gonna look like?