Monday, January 21, 2008

Stuff I’m reading, watching, loving right now.*

Books: I have a habit of having more than one book going at a time. Currently, I’m reading:

  • You: Staying Young: The Owner’s Manual for Extending Your Warranty
    The latest in the “You” series by Oprah’s favorite doc and some other guy. Can’t seem to get through this, although it does contain some great information. Seems to be geared to someone at least 10 years older than me. Which is fine. Anything that makes me feel younger.
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
    The gals at work started a book club and this is our first selection. I’ve read several of Bill Bryson’s other works and he always makes me laugh aloud. A Walk in the Woods is still my favorite from this Iowa-born writer who lives in England.
  • What To Expect: The Toddler Years
    You gotta read these if you have a kid, right? I’m already two months behind on this user manual…I hope there’s not something important that I’m supposed to be doing. (As a side note, the first book in this series is the classic What To Expect When You’re Expecting, which I did not need. There should be an adoption book called What To Expect When You’re Not Reproducing.)

TV

  • How To Look Good Naked
    God love Carson Kressley. He was always my favorite Queer Eye guy, and who better to build up the self-esteem of the average woman than a man who has clearly embraced his different-ness.
  • The Biggest Loser: Couples
    I’m not quite as into the Couples show as much as I am the regular Biggest Loser shows, but I still tune in faithfully every Tuesday. Love to watch the transformations. While I eat cookies. And ice cream.


Movie

  • P.S. I Love You
    I’ve only seen two movies (in the theater or otherwise) since Lauren was born, so perhaps I am not the most discerning of movie-goers these days, but I loved this chick-flick. I know it didn’t get good reviews, but I don’t care. For two hours of laugh-cry-laugh-cry (throw in a little lust for Gerard Butler and Jeffrey Dean Morgan and their yummy Irish accents), it was worth the $9.25 and half a box of Kleenex.


*I was not paid to review any of this stuff, but I am by no means above accepting any free goodies the publishers/producers might want to throw my way.