Wednesday, August 8, 2007


I find myself feeling bemused around the young women in the office. How young, you ask? One day an e-mail went around with a link to a site that tells you the number one song on the day you were born. One of these girls said hers was Van Halen’s "Jump." (In case you’re wondering, mine was "I Heard it Through the Grapevine," and I don’t mean when it was part of the singing raisins commercial).

Oh, they’re so young, so fresh, so full of hope and optimism about the future. So eager to get their careers off on the right foot. And I, I am the sad, old, cynical married woman who remembers what that felt like. I, too, had a first job once, when the ink was barely dry on my diploma. I remember driving away from my Loop office in the big city and seeing the skyline in my rearview mirror and having my very own Mary Tyler Moore moment. Now,
this song queues up on the old iPod and I think, "No shit."

No comments: